Monday, December 14, 2009

46

I never much cared for John "Cougar" Mellencamp, but he did pen some memorable lyrics. The line i always recall is:
Oh yeah, life goes on
Long after the thrill of livin' is gone
I hated that line when i was young. I still don't think it's brilliant, but now I get it. I totally get it.

Such is life at 46. I don't have much to complain about, and i've been blessed with great kids, adequate health, etc. But by definition, the older you get the less you have to look forward to. There will be many things to celebrate in my future, but they will mostly be other people's successes.

As much as i love my kids, i've reached the age where i sometimes contemplate life after they've left home. That is the last real transition of your life for which you can anticipate something positive. I don't just mean grandchildren and more disposable income. I view it as a chance to fix some of my regrets, to live a little bit of the lives that i missed. To let go of things i acquired more out of convention than desire.

So fuck you John Mellencamp. Even if you were right.

No comments: