Saturday, November 03, 2007

Olympic Marathon Trials

I got to watch the US Olympic Trials for the marathon this morning in Central Park. It was much more exciting than you'd imagine that spectating a marathon could be. They set up a loop course through Central Park, so i was able to see the runners 5 times before the finish. Ryan Hall ran away with the race, which wasn't a huge surprise, but Dathan Ritzenheim in second surprised me a bit. Brian Sell was 3rd. Meb only managed 8th-- he really looked like he was struggling by mile 21.

Sadly, the news is reporting that Ryan Shay died during the trials, only 5.5 miles into the race. I'm not clear what happened. I was not near the incident and there was no buzz about it during the race. I did see a couple of ambulances, but i figured those were for spectators.

No comments: