Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Burning Stupidville

My son Nathan and his friend Ben have formed a band, which they call Burning Stupidville (don't ask, i don't know). Recently, they recorded a few songs and posted them to a site called MyJonesMusic, and they also have their own MySpace page.

I won't try to convince you that it's great music (it was written by a 12 year-old and 13 year-old after all), but it's not bad. What amazes me more though is the process. They were not only able to play the music, but they recorded it, and posted it on the Internet. Or, put another way, they played it, produced it, and distributed it. Did i mention that my son is 12?

I'm too old to remember what i was doing when i was 12, but it was something different. I probably watched a lot of television and i might have been playing sports. I didn't have my son's interest in music, or his talent, but whatever i was passionate about at 12 i understood that there were large barriers between my world and the adult world where people made things and put them in front of the rest of the world. I don't think my son knows that, and it makes me very proud.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.