Monday, January 22, 2007

Nope. 3:02

Didn't quite make it under 3 hours at the Carlsbad Marathon. I ran 3:02.36, good for 20th place over-all and 3rd in my age group. I was pretty close. I was at 6:46 pace through 20 miles, but i really struggled through the last couple (3:02 is 6:58 pace). The course was fairly tough (a bit hilly and windy), but what really got me was nausea. I had to slow down considerably over the last couple of miles to keep from puking. Can't decide if it would have been better to puke and then go for it, but it seemed like a bad idea at the time.

Apparently, the course was tough for everybody, as reports are that they had the slowest marathon time in 17 years. The headwind in the home stretch apparently slowed everybody down, so that gives me a bit of consolation.

Update: Got my name in the "paper": http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/20070122-9999-1s22run-a.html

1 comment:

Phil said...

"... a bit hilly …"? You are being far too modest. This course is darn hilly. Anyone who can hit a PR on the Carlsbad Marathon is destined to run much faster times on their next marathon.

You ran a fabulous race to get anywhere near 3:00. Congratulations on a great race as well as your name in the paper.